2008 EPA M2M GRANT: Development of Guidelines & Technical Evaluation for Degassing Coal Mine Methane in Advance from Mining to Reduce Methane Emissions in the Southern Shanxi Province of China
- Coal Mines
- Geographical Focus
- Blacksburg Virginia, USA/ Shanxi province, China
- Description of Project
- This grant supports the development of guidelines and a technical evaluation on degassing coal mine methane, identify methods for development of viable CBM degasification and conduct a study of economically feasible methods of gas delivery to consumers in the Southern Shanxi Province of China.
- Partner Countries included in or proposing this activity
- China, United States
- Instrumental Organizations
- Virginia Tech
- Estimated lifetime of the project (years):
- Emissions reductions:
- Results and Outcomes
- This project is to develop a handbook as an add-on to exploratory drilling planned by AAGI in coal bed methane (CBM) concession area in Shanxi, evaluate current as well as cutting edge technology in CBM degasification, and identify a set of methods for development of viable CBM degasification as well as a set of methods for the development of viable CBM degasification programs, finally, this project is to identify the most economically feasible methods for delivery of gas to consumers.
- Additional Documentation
- Final Handbook (PDF)
- Primary contact for this project or activity
First Name: Michael E.
Last Name: Karmis
Organization Name: Virginia Tech
- Financial And In-Kind Support (U.S. $)
- Total Amount provided by all Partner Countries and Organizations instrumental to this project or activity: $300,000
Description of In-Kind Support: