2007 EPA M2M Grant: Demonstration of Power Generation Using Low Quality CMM in China
- Coal Mines
- Geographical Focus
- CCII visited Hebi Mining Area located Henan Province, Longmei Mining Group located in Heilongjiang Province, Zhengzhou Mining Area Located in Henan Province, Huainan Mining Area located in Anhui Province, Anyang Mining Area located in Henan Province, and Huaibei Mining Area located in Anhui Province from November 2007 to April 2008.
Huainan Mining Area was selected as demonstration site, and the demonstration project was carried out in Dingji Coal Mine.
- Description of Project
- Under this grant, CCII evaluated several mines in China and chose the Dingji coal mine to establish the demonstration power generation project using low quality CMM.
- Partner Countries included in or proposing this activity
- China, United States
- Instrumental Organizations
- China Coal Information Institute (CCII)
Huainan Mining Industry Group
U.S. Environmental Protection Agency
- Estimated lifetime of the project (years):
- Emissions reductions:
- 33,856 tCO2 (annually)
- Results and Outcomes
- CCII evaluated 6 mining areas and chose the Dingji coal mine to conduct a feasibility study for a power generation demonstration project using low quality CMM. They evaluated the coal mine operation, project ROI, and environmental impacts. They generated electricity using gas engines designed specifically to use low quality CMM. A report summarizes the technical and economic feasibility and environmental and social benefits of the project. CCII hopes to help other mines conduct similar projects.
- Additional Documentation
- Primary contact for this project or activity
First Name: Liu
Last Name: Wenge
Organization Name: CCII
- Financial And In-Kind Support (U.S. $)
- Total Amount provided by all Partner Countries and Organizations instrumental to this project or activity: $100,000 provided by USEPA grant
Description of In-Kind Support:
This work was performed by the China Coal Information Institute (CCII).