2006 EPA M2M Grant: Productive Use of Methane in the Indian Dairy Industry - An Indian AgStar Mechanism
- Geographical Focus
- Description of Project
- This project would develop an AgSTAR program for the Indian condition, modeled after EPA’s domestic AgSTAR program.
- Partner Countries included in or proposing this activity
- India, United States
- Instrumental Organizations
- International Institute for Energy Conservation (IIEC)
- Estimated lifetime of the project (years):
- Emissions reductions:
- Results and Outcomes
- The program will target the dairy industry across India and work with cooperative and private sector dairies to create a producers' coalition. It will develop a nationwide institutional system that promotes capture of methane from livestock wastes at Indian dairy farms through anaerobic digestion technology combined with solids separation; the captured methane will be used to generate electricity.
- Additional Documentation
- Primary contact for this project or activity
First Name: Nitin
Last Name: Pandit
Organization Name: IIEC
- Financial And In-Kind Support (U.S. $)
- Total Amount provided by all Partner Countries and Organizations instrumental to this project or activity: 99,000.00
Description of In-Kind Support:
- Project elements include a market assessment for methane reduction in India’s cow and food processing sector; identification of appropriate technologies relative to availability and affordability; demonstration of appropriate technologies at one to two selected farms; extension component at demonstration farms to raise awareness and stimulate market demand; institutional component to house technical standards; finance component to increase deployment and replication of appropriate technologies.