2006 EPA M2M Grant: Methane capture from agricultural wastes in Colombia
- Geographical Focus
- Description of Project
- This project will implement an initial scoping study of the market potential for reducing methane, and developing renewable energy in the livestock and food processing sector.
- Partner Countries included in or proposing this activity
- Colombia, United States
- Instrumental Organizations
- Colombia's Centro Nacional de Produccion Mas Limpia y Tecnologias ambientales (CNPMLTA)
- Estimated lifetime of the project (years):
- Emissions reductions:
- Results and Outcomes
- This assessment project will form the basis of a larger plan to stimulate the market. This project will develop an inventory of valuable agricultural wastes in Colombia which may be used for methane capture projects with energy recovery. This project will screen sources and use calculation models to determine methane generation potential, then evaluate different technologies to determine the most cost-effective alternatives, and develop a list of technology and equipment providers.
- Additional Documentation
- Primary contact for this project or activity
First Name: Carlos
Last Name: Arango
Organization Name: CNPML
- Financial And In-Kind Support (U.S. $)
- Total Amount provided by all Partner Countries and Organizations instrumental to this project or activity: 115,850 (64,350- EPA; 51,500- matching funds)
Description of In-Kind Support:
- The goals of the project will be reduction of methane and nitrous oxide emissions, reduced water pollution, and increased agricultural productivity using organic fertilizer. Energy-related benefits may include thermal energy for onsite needs and electricity for auto-consumption or for sale.