Additional Resources for Coal Mines
Global Methane Initiative Resources
- Policy White Paper—Flaring of Coal Mine Methane: Assessing Appropriate Opportunities (PDF, 8 pp, 104 KB) - This is a white paper that discusses the GMI Coal Subcommittee's policy on flaring as a coal mine methane end use. It was put together by the United States and approved by the Coal Subcommittee members during the October 2011 Coal Subcommittee meeting in Krakow, Poland.
- Best Practice Guidance for Effective Methane Drainage and Use in Coal Mines (PDF, 86 pp, 1.9 MB)
This document is also available in Chinese (PDF, 86 pp, 2.8 MB) and Russian (PDF, 107 pp, 2.6 MB)
- Coal Mine Methane Recovery Opportunities in Mongolia (PDF, 104 pp, 2.8 MB)
- Development of Two Case Studies on Mine Methane Capture and Utilisation in China (PDF, 48 pp, 2.3 MB)
- Coal Mine Methane Country Profiles - Contains individual, comprehensive profiles that characterize the coal and coal mine methane sectors of 37 countries—29 Global Methane Initiative partners and an additional eight coal-producing nations. In addition, an Introduction section provides summary tables and statistics.
Other Useful Links
- European Commission Coal Methane Funding Opportunity
- IEA Clean Coal Centre - Provides information and expertise on all aspects of the sustainable use of coal. Services are delivered to members through reports and reviews on important topics, advisory services to governments and industry, support for relevant R & D, and by providing networking opportunities that foster international co-operation within and amongst developed and developing countries.
- International Energy Agency (IEA): Coal Mine Methane in China: A Budding Asset with the Potential to Bloom 2009 (PDF, 36 pp, 2.6 MB)
- International Energy Agency (IEA): Coal Mine Methane in China - Addendum 2009 (PDF, 1 pp, 61 KB)
- International Energy Agency (IEA): Coal Mine Methane in Russia 2009 (PDF, 70 pp, 2.6 MB)
- U.S. EPA's Coalbed Methane Outreach Program (CMOP) - Contains a variety of coalbed project development resources ranging from identifying project opportunities to implementing projects, financing and policy.